Saving energy in green houses
Horticulturists save energy
The HortiAir is an air treatment system for the climatisation in green houses, developed through thorough cooperation of several specialists. ERIKS Motion Control Schoonhoven supplied the expertise for the controlling of the actuators in the system. With 40% less energy costs an extra production of 10% was achieved.
Through thorough cooperation several specialists developed the HortiAir, an air treatment system for the climatisation in green houses. ERIKS Motion Control Schoonhoven supplied the expertise for the controlling of the actuators in the system. With 40% less energy costs an extra production of 10% was achieved. So the HortiAir is not only an investment in technics, but contributes to a higher income for the horticulturist as well and makes the horicultural industry profitable once again.
The humidity in a greenhouse is controlled through a roof shutter system, for vegetation grows on account of humidity in the ecoysystem. A comfortable temperature is required as well and there must be enough CO2 in the air. The green house should be cooled when the heat of the sun is too severe.
If the actuators in an air treatment system do not shut well enough, this effects the humidity immediately and therefore the growth of the plant.
The HortiAir consists of two heat switches and is controlled by humidity sensors and temperature sensors, on and off actuators with overloading protection and one proportional actuator. The various systems assemble in a green house and are connected to each other and to a process computer through a Local Area Network (LAN).
Several techniques from the hightech industry do help here to keep the production costs per unit as low as possible. Many problems can be solved softwarelike which prevents feedback per unit on each actuator. Because of this way of controlling the functionality of the ensemble will be followed. In case of threat of impediment of the air stream, for example by frost injury, the system decides to start a different connection path. Several patents were granted to the HortiAir.
All the HortiAir advantages in a row:
- A huge improvement of the efficiency (around 40% less energy costs). A double cultivated area with the same capacity of coupled heath and power production (CHP) is achievable.
- A steady regulation.
- A low pressure on space and low investment costs of the units.
- Roof shutters are no longer necessary (lower architectural investment) and less CHP capacity.
- A higher concentration of CO2 in the green house and optimal controlling of the humidity. Ten percent 10% more production is possible.
- The green house stays closed. Less crop protection products are necessary and the inserted insects stay inside. The crop takes all of the CO2 and it does not disappear in the environment. The quality of the product is better because the outdoor influences are diminished.